Re: Advantage of Linux distributions (was: Diashapes 0.2.2 released)

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 8:00 AM,  <dia-list-request gnome org> wrote:
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 18:32:02 +0200
From: "W. Martin Borgert" <debacle debian org>

For me the whole point of using Debian (same goes for Ubuntu
etc.) is this: I can install anything I want using the package
management system and I do not have to rely on any additional
software distribution system, be it copying around zip files.
Any updates, any bug fixes, everything goes through the same
system. Any bug reports go to the same address. I like it :~)

I have always assumed that the distro maintainers were too busy with
packaging the distro to deal with anything other than actual package
problems. Unless I am sure it is a packaging issue, I do not file a
bug report with the distro. For application issues, I look at the
app's bug database to see if the issue has already been reported and
only submit a bug if there is not already a report. Sometimes I try to
build the app myself, but more often, I just wait for the distro to
catch up.