Re: Advantage of Linux distributions (was: Diashapes 0.2.2 released)

Le 29/08/2010 19:21, Ron Wilson a écrit :
I have always assumed that the distro maintainers were too busy with
packaging the distro to deal with anything other than actual package
problems. Unless I am sure it is a packaging issue, I do not file a
bug report with the distro. For application issues, I look at the
app's bug database to see if the issue has already been reported and
only submit a bug if there is not already a report. Sometimes I try to
build the app myself, but more often, I just wait for the distro to
catch up.

For sure not! here is a little sample:

I have reported a bug against xorg "geode" server 3 or 4 months
ago through debian bug report tool.

This affects a peculiar sold out low cost laptop ("e-café") I bought
with a proprietary Linux on I turned 3 days after to debian, 'cause integrated "Totem" asked me 25euros to simply plays "Big Buck Bunny"!

2 weeks ago, the maintainer sent me a short message through the debian
bug report web/mail integrated tool to ask me if it was solved with last version.

In fact I missed another message with precedent version while I was at
hospital.

Sunday 3AM, I post a long answer (I'm still sick, and apologize shortly
for the delay), then at end ask for more information about current
tools needed to complete with factual ones about material.

Sunday 9.30, the debian maintainer thanks me for my extensive report
then ask me to install the needed tool "hwdetect".

At 12.30, I post the "hwdetect" outputs, with copy to the "AMD" guy he
also posted (geode is an AMD chipset).

I just verify my mail... OK: he answers me at 12.50, with commentary
about the hwdetect output. The bug report system filled my own answer
a few minutes before: 12.39.

Now I have to prevent him that 1024x600 is in fact displayed on a
9 inches screen with interpolation, so I use a lower resolution...
I will do it tomorrow because of I'm too tired to do a reasonable
research now. Or later if I'm too sick tomorrow.

Is there any place anyone works on Sunday except restaurants and Debian
Ternet virtual locations? OK; in fact a lot with the "Nouvel Ordre Mondial du Pognon", but a Debian developer have no /charge/ (in the
very old French sense) except what he takes on himself!

So: the debian maintainer is wired to the hardware AMD maker, the xorg
 developers and to *me*, with an integrated debian bug report and
 communication tool. And *I* *cause* the *delay* in the bug
 resolution, even not on my own but my illness.

An important fact missed here is that the debian bug report tool list
you the bug reports against a package while you decide to report, and
that I never mind of what was reported on X itself except in the
distro Changelog, and focused on distro bug reports, because I'm aware
of what a good distro maintainer can do, and I know since I first used
Debian after a long trip along Linux distros, started itself after
loosing a 6 month job and 3 crunched backups on M$fucking system on my
first personal computer, I found through debian the system_s_ and the
maintainers I ever need while it displays me "dselect" the first time
following the first reboot _during_ installation, I was aware of
_because of the manual_.

Tools have change since the just out "Woody" I found in my newspaper
seller's shop because of the 56kb/s wire was a little bit thin without
that to load distros, but Debian men not. Even more numerous.

And if a day I have a job and a life which allows me time to give to
debian, I will give time. And I will thanks for that. I know I'm not
a power user and not a good developer, but I will do the best effort
as any most little maintainer of the most little package do to try to
become a good Debian maintainer, and I will pass on all the stuff to a
better or less busy one while necessary if I think I deserve, or if
anyone says with reason I effectively deserve. And I'd be proud to
pass on before doing the mess.

If you don't trust me about the xorg bug, see Debian bug #591364.

TH.