Advantage of Linux distributions (was: Diashapes 0.2.2 released)

On 2010-08-28 07:43, Steffen Macke wrote:
* It's the difference between the number Debian users that would be able
to copy the contents of a zip file to the right location and the ones
running Debian sid

For me the whole point of using Debian (same goes for Ubuntu
etc.) is this: I can install anything I want using the package
management system and I do not have to rely on any additional
software distribution system, be it copying around zip files.
Any updates, any bug fixes, everything goes through the same
system. Any bug reports go to the same address. I like it :~)

To be en par with Diashapes in terms of granularity, of course, you
would have to package every single sheet in it's own package - it that
what you would like to do? If that's the case, I should split up the
dia-additional-shapes package into individual sheets.

This is a matter of taste: I really like fine-grained packages,
especially if one can split out dependencies this way. OTOH, if
the resulting packages are many, and small, and do not split
out dependencies, I'ld prefer one or two packages for all
additional shapes. If there are too many small packages, maybe
the Debian FTP masters won't accept them.

Cheers