Re: Text Highlight color

On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 09:17 +0800, yami wrote:

        It's a question of which object you're using. For instance,
        the first four shapes of the Assorted sheet come with built-in
        text and resize to fit, whereas the standard shapes don't have
        text. It has never been the same throughout (at least not
        since 2000).

Really? I'm using 0.97pre2, but I failed to figure out how to add
built-in resizable text to Square or Circle.

My bad, it was the first four of Flowchart (which also happen to be
simple geometric shapes, hence the confusion). Actually, it's almost all
of the Flowchart shapes, it's just that the first four are implemented
in C while the rest are .shape-defined.

I was surprised when I first found I can not add text as a property to
square or circle (at lease not so intuitively).

It's one of those early design decisions that is different in Dia from
many other similar tools.  Objects are not required or expected to allow
editable text within them, and there is no way to attach/detach the
text. Only if they implement it themselves (and that's somewhat complex,
as there is no generic support for the whole resizing thing) can it
happen. That's also why so many objects use text in properties. .shape
objects can have editable text in them, but the way the shape
grows/shrinks is rather primitive.

Another thing surprised me is that I can not find rectangle in  dia.

The Box object is a rectangle, but can be constrained to a square.

-Lars