RE: Using Dia for auto network mapping tool ?

Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 15:52:41 +0100
Subject: Re: Using Dia for auto network mapping tool ?
From: aaron trevena gmail com
To: dia-list gnome org

2009/8/14 T.J. Yang :

I have Xymon(Hobbit) system monitoring tool to monitor thousands of machines in different LANs and WANs.
Dynamic generation of network maps upon adding and deleting of machines will be a great time saver.

Both the GUI(for human) and command line(for script) ability to create diagrams for network maps looks
very feasible.
Currently I am studying  mysql2dia.pl script at http://sql2dia.sourceforge.net/

You might want to look at autodia too :
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Autodia/, it's perl and output dia XML
using a template.

Yes, I did check out your autodia perl module, very good module.
Hope you can redesign autodia, so it can become command line cunter-part of GTK dia.

Like you said in your TODO file.

Redesign Diagram class to be a template class and move much of its logic
into UMLDiagram class, this would allow AutoDia to handle different types
of diagram.

The tricky bit is laying out the diagram :
http://search.cpan.org/~pasky/Graph-Layderer-0.02/ should help, and
there is a nice simple spring graph implementation at
http://www.chaosreigns.com/code/springgraph/dl/springgraph.pl

Hope that's helpful.

Yes, this is helpful information.

Thanks for the autodia work.