Question about the bezierline tool

When I use the bezierline tool, the section of the line next to the "handles" of the bezierline tool is thicker than the rest of the line, even when the bezierline tool and the line are not selected and highlighted.

If I try to "shrink" the "handles," I always end up distorting my line. I have a feeling that even if I shrank the handles as much as possible, I would still end up with dark "dots" next to the orange squares.

Any suggestions?

Angelique