Re: What do you want to do for Dia 0.97?

Am 16.04.2008 01:15, Shishir Ramam schrieb:
My usecase -
- Use Dia (with some custom shapes) to draw a diagram.
- use Python plugin to generate some data based on the diagram.
Sound interesting, so you have a custom python ('PyDia') plug-in to modify your initial diagram?

- Export the diagram to PDF for review.

There are a few aspects of this simple usecase that can improve -
1. A shape's default size and attributes are not controllable.
   They are typically too big to fit a substantial diagram on a page.
Again, maybe you can help us to improve the NEWS file linked in my original mail ( http://svn.gnome.org/svn/dia/trunk/NEWS ). The feature of influencing the initial shape size is 'hidden' in this paragraph:

  * Shapes can now have sub-shapes that can be scaled or not when the main
    shape is scaled.  Also, it is now possible to specify that shapes
    are created with their stated sizes.

2. When exporting #1 requires all kinds of scaling to make the diagram fit.
Not sure if I understand. Why don't you simply use fit-to-page in your diagram?

3. I've not managed to successfully position the exported image in
    the center of the page.

Moving objects is certainly possible with PyDia.

Oh, and upgrading the python bindings would be really nice!

This is not very specific but there is some work done on PyDia, from ChangeLog:

2007-10-07  Hans Breuer  <hans breuer org>

        * plug-ins/python/paper-info.[ch] plug-ins/python/diamodule.c
          plug-ins/python/Makefile.am plug-ins/python/makefile.msc : wrap
        PaperInfo and ...
        * plug-ins/python/imgmap.py : (new) .. use it to scale the
        html image map like most bitmap exporters do

Thanks for the excellent work.

To be continued ;-)
        Hans