Re: What do you want to do for Dia 0.97?

On Apr 16, 2008, at 1:15 AM, Shishir Ramam wrote:

My usecase -
- Use Dia (with some custom shapes) to draw a diagram.
- use Python plugin to generate some data based on the diagram.
- Export the diagram to PDF for review.

There are a few aspects of this simple usecase that can improve -
1. A shape's default size and attributes are not controllable.
  They are typically too big to fit a substantial diagram on a page.
2. When exporting #1 requires all kinds of scaling to make the diagram fit.
3. I've not managed to successfully position the exported image in
   the center of the page.

Oh, and upgrading the python bindings would be really nice!

Thanks for the excellent work.

I'm very thrilled to hear so many people who want to help develop Dia. Or maybe y'all didn't read Hans' message thoroughly - he asked what you want to *do* for 0.97, not what you want to have done. There's no lack of suggestions for improvement, but a serious lack of people doing any work (me included at the moment). So please, if you like Dia, and are not afraid of a little C hacking, a bit of effort on your part can go a long way towards a better 0.97.

-Lars