Re: Patch for Delete key behavior (for dia-0.96.1)

Inkscape works fine to me.  Explorer is only used when I name or rename files and folders.  Never heard of Nautilus.

Explorer isn't serving the same purpose and so if form follows function then it may not be the best model.

Seems to me that Inkscape is closer to Dia in that we want blocks of texts that are mutable for content, location, and size as blocks.

I think Inkscape has a better method than Dia from a user POV, maybe not from the developer side...can you just steal it? Is that code open? The font size in Dia has always been inscrutable.  In Inkscape the text is a vector entity which can be rotated, its aspect ratio changed, fill and stroke, and opacity are options.  I will take all that!  Explorer has nothing I know of that is comparable to the text function of Inkscape.

Mike

On 9/28/07, Sameer Sahasrabuddhe <sameerds gmail com> wrote:
On 9/28/07, Hans Breuer <hans breuer org> wrote:
> The second related thing where both programs agree is that *double
> clicking* of a selected text object does enter text editing. And clicking
> outside of the object ends it.

Does that mean that double clicking on a text object will work
different from a normal object? That's really ugly. And what about an
object that has other things along with text?

> So I think we should try to follow the examples of other vector editors and
>  don't try to be like Nautilus.

It's not about "trying to be like" someone ... it's about trying to
have the most comfortable interface. It's not necessary that someone
using Dia is familiar with other diagram editors, and we must "try to
be like" those other editors for their sake. But every person using
Dia will definitely be familiar with Nautilus or Explorer or both.

It's not necessary that just because other programs have a certain
interface, that has to be correct or that is the way every new program
should behave. Come to think of it, Dia is a Gnome application ...
maybe we should be looking at shortcuts that are correct in or fit
better, with Gnome.

Sameer.
--
Research Scholar, Department of CSE, IIT Bombay
http://www.it.iitb.ac.in/~sameerds/