Re: tabbed interface

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 06:56 -0500, Patrick Hallinan wrote:
On 5/5/07, Lars Clausen <lars raeder dk> wrote:
        On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 01:48 -0500, Patrick Hallinan wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have made some progress toward a tabbed interface for
        dia.  It's
        > optional, controlled by a "use integrated ui" option in the
        > preferences dialog.  I don't know how to send a patch.  I've
        attached
        > a diff of my changes synch'd to the latest svn checkin.
        >
        > It's in a half broken state.  Maybe mostly broken.  I think
        the next
        > thing that I'm going to do is to synch the tab label to the
        diagram
        > filename.  I just want to make sure that there is interest
        in this.
        > I'm excited to do this if it is really going to be picked up
        by the
        > project.  I'm also happy to accept criticism/advice for the
        code.
        > BTW: I don't know how else to show the code unless I zip the
        files
        > (which I'd be happy to do).

        I've committed your patch to SVN, I think it looks nice.  I
        think we can
        take out the "use menubar" option when this is complete; I
        think there
        is significant overlap between those who use menubar at the
        top and
        those who want the integrated UI.  Getting the zoom box and
        snap widgets
        back would be nice:)

Zoom and snap widgets appear to work.  A lot of things *seem* to be
implemented:

+Add popup message "Settings change will take effect after Dia is
restarted" to the integrated UI option.
+Add snap tool items to the toolbar.
+Default the file filter for the Open File Dialog to "Supported
Formats"
+Force the new diagram to be shown!!!
+Make the toolbar actually do something
+Make the diagram tree show a diagram's tab (when it should).
+Created Missing application menus.
+Make the name of second diagram created be numbered 2 instead of 1.
+Make diagram close button actually close the diagram.
+Add shortcut cntl-w for closing the current tab (free when menu's
were added).

Great, sounds like good progress.

Short cuts alt or ctrl-1,2,... for selecting tabs was abandoned
because the short cuts already exist for other things.

There is a lot of cleanup and debugging work that needs to be done.

I can't apply the patch at the moment -- it crashes for me when applied
to the normal SVN under Ubuntu Dapper x86:

#0  0xb7ddbc91 in gtk_widget_show () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#1  0x08079c21 in create_display_shell (ddisp=0x97b2b28, width=500,
    height=400, title=0x96c7f49 "Diagram1.dia", use_mbar=0,
top_level_window=1)
    at interface.c:671
#2  0x0807281f in initialize_display_widgets (ddisp=0x97b2b28) at
display.c:211
#3  0x08072ad9 in new_display (dia=0x80ec120) at display.c:343
#4  0x0806b879 in file_new_callback (action=0x0) at commands.c:136
#5  0x0806e1e1 in app_init (argc=1, argv=0xbfdb8464) at app_procs.c:956
#6  0x0809f41e in main (argc=0, argv=0x0) at main.c:26

Doesn't crash w/o integrated UI set, and it doesn't matter if the
menubar is set to on or off.

For code cleanup, I think a great amount of improvement can be had by
abstracting out where the various widgets live in the two UI states, so
you can use the same code to access them.

-Lars