Re: win32 dia with python

Steffen Macke wrote:
Mike,

Further to 2.2.3, is there a reason you have stayed with that version of
Python?

I just looked at Hans' makefile. It seems to reference Python 2.2. For the time
being I sticked to it. It would be good to get some feedback which Python
version is the preferred one (Or should we package for different
Python versions?)
I just saw that Python 2.5 is released.

Steffen - yes I see that now. Must have happened yesterday.

I asked around and have no answers yet about versions. My personal feedback to you is that I will definitely move forward from 2.4 to 2.5.

If I am the only Dia-Python user, I would ask for 2.5. Maybe others can say something here.

Here is some research on the subject ...

Anthony Baxter, Python Release Manager, said last year at a Python presentation at the Open Source Developers Conference in Melbourne that 2.5 will be the final 2.x Python before 3.0.

The Python language developers don't backport patches more than two versions. That means 2.3 and earlier versions are now frozen forever.

Guido van Rossum has said Python 3.0 is not a complete rewrite but Python developers may break backward compatibility where necessary to remove cruft from the language and keep it clean and simple. Because of this I predict they will maintain 2.5 indefinitely.

Here is what Guido has actually said ...

"At this moment [18 August 2006], I hope to have a first alpha release out sometime in 2007; it may take another year after that (or more) before the first proper release, named Python 3.0.

I expect that there will be parallel Python 2.x and 3.x releases for some time; the Python 2.x releases will continue for a longer time than the traditional 2.x.y bugfix releases. Typically, we stop releasing bugfix versions for 2.x once version 2.(x+1) has been released. But I expect there to be at least one or two new 2.x releases even after 3.0 (final) has been released, probably well into 3.1 or 3.2. This will to some extend depend on community demand for continued 2.x support, acceptance and stability of 3.0, and volunteer stamina.

It's quite possible that Python 3.1 and 3.2 will be released much sooner after 3.0 than has been customary for the 2.x series. The 3.x release pattern will stabilize once the community is happy with 3.x."

This came from PEP 3000 at http://www.python.org/dev/peps/

I think you will have Dia customers who will be using Python 2.5.x for a long time to come. I therefore think it is worthwhile advancing from 2.2.3 to 2.5.0 skipping the versions in between. As I said earlier, Python dedication to backwards compatibility ought to make jumping straight to 2.5.0 quite painless for you. It might even run unchanged.

I hope this makes sense.

Regards

mike

The new DLL (still Python 2.2 but linked against Dia 0.95-1) is available:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dia-installer/dia-python-0.95.1-1.tar.bz2?download

Sorry for the .tar.bz2 file. Upload of .zip file didn't work for some
reason. You can use
e.g. 7-Zip to extract the files.

Regards,

Steffen