Re: Suddenly developing problem

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 14:08 -0600, Jim Clark wrote:
I am running 0.94-5.7.1 on RedHat, the same one I've been running
happily for several years. (I tried to compile 0.95 but was unable to
do so, and I haven't the time to get everything straight.)

Today when I started dia it just failed. I launch it from an icon and
it gave me:

        The Application "dia" has quit unexpectedly.

        You can inform the developers of what happened to help them
        fix it. Or you can restart the application right now.
(Why I can't do both is never mentioned....) Clicking the restart
button did nothing. From the command line it just quits. No errors, no
messages.

OK, something's hosed. Let's reinstall and start over. I removed the
rpm and reinstalled with the same version. And got the same error upon
launching. But I can run as root from the command line, though I get
this:
        GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
        Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication
        protocols specified are supported and host-based
        authentication failed.

It seems to work fine though. Anyone know what happened?

The warning is Gnome related, has little to do with Dia, but with the
fact that you're doing something Gnomeish as run while runnning another
users (your) session.

Given that it works running as root, I'd say the problem lies in
your .dia directory.  Try moving it aside and see what happens.  If that
helps, you can move important bits back one at a time and see when it
breaks (or do a binary search, if you feel fancy:).  If you find the
culprit, we'd like to hear about it.

-Lars