Suddenly developing problem

I am running 0.94-5.7.1 on RedHat, the same one I've been running happily for several years. (I tried to compile 0.95 but was unable to do so, and I haven't the time to get everything straight.)

Today when I started dia it just failed. I launch it from an icon and it gave me:

(Why I can't do both is never mentioned....) Clicking the restart button did nothing. From the command line it just quits. No errors, no messages.

OK, something's hosed. Let's reinstall and start over. I removed the rpm and reinstalled with the same version. And got the same error upon launching. But I can run as root from the command line, though I get this:

It seems to work fine though. Anyone know what happened?

Thanks-

Jim Clark