Re: Connecting line to line

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:52:35 +0000, Martin Gleadow wrote
loli wrote:

From time to time a question about connecting lines appears at the list

 I think I found  a very easy way to get it done by using the standard
ellipse  as a conection point: The ellipse can be made as small as you
want
so  nothng extra can be seen.
I think it works all right.
I attach a diagram and its correponding .png with the intention to show
how
to join two lines:
First, (inferior part of diagram), showing a big ellipse to join the
lines.

After they are really connected, the ellipse is made to decrease in size
until we see just a green dot.

Now, as usual, we can break the connection by dragging one of the lines
(without touching any of its control points). And change the shape size
or
position of lines moving (for this example) its free end point.

The central part of diagram looks like a polyline; but it is formed by
two
lines joined with an ellipse.

The upper part looks like just a line but again it is formed by two
lines
joined with an ellipse

That sounds like it will work, but doesn't seem a very elegant
solution.   In addition, when I zoomed in as close as I could then
tried to further minimise the ellipse Dia crashed on my repeatedly
(0.94, installed via apt on Ubuntu)

 I did not print the diagram to see its quality in paper. Sorry it is not
good enough.

I see 2 options here:

1) allow the creation of arbitrary zero size connection points which
can be added to the diagram for this purpose

 (this I tried to get with the ellipse...)

2) Allow the end of a line to act as a connection point.
Handles and connection points are very different in behabior;
 Perhaps  lines could have  each ending  being  switchable between handle or
connection point; but this seems quit a change and probably would need  lots
of programming.

MG.

--

Martin Gleadow