Re: DIA vs Eclipse

On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 22:28 +0100, mygsm free fr wrote:
i'm using Eclipse with GEF to draw diagram and manipulate data.

i'd like to know if a can do the same thing with DIA, i.e. having something like
a MVC design pattern.

I haven't tried GEF, so I'm not sure what it can do.  Dia is somewhat
MVC-designed, but I don't know if that's what you're after.

i'd like to know :
- how can i have properties for a component ?

I'm guessing that you're talking about properties for generic objects,
not just for the UML Component object.  The StdProps system defines a
number of standard properties, such as string, integer, color, dashes
etc.  Each object can define a number of these, and they are
automatically loaded, saved and settable in the properties dialog.

- how can o explore my diagram ?

No idea what you mean here.

- what can i do with a plugin for DIA ?

Theoretically anything, but in practice the access to the GUI itself is
very limited.  The current plugins are just imports, exports, and object
definitions.  You could do some inter-object operations like checking
validity of connections, but nobody's tried it yet, so we don't know the
practicalities of it.  There's no systematic access for plugins to, say,
the menus or the preferences.

-Lars