joining segments and highlighting regions

Hello,

Is there a way to join two segments so that they behave as a polygonal line?
Is it possible to do the same with a line segment and a bezier curve? Two bezier curves?

And is there a way to highlight a region? Say, I have a function (drawn with bezier curves) and I want to highlight the region between the function, the x-axis and two lines x=a and x=b. Can this be done easiliy somehow? Are there any plans for adding such functionality in the future? I do not want something very fancy. Simple things like, day, shading with diagonal lines similar to xfig.

thank you,

Antonis.