Re: Asked before, now again with more questions attached

Am Freitag, 10. September 2004 04:43 schrieb Octavio Alvarez Piza:
Am Donnerstag, 9. September 2004 17:10 schrieb Jim Clark:
If I choose Center (my usual choice) it aligns them against some
intermediate, self-determined meridian. I do not see where/how/if I
can specify (and cannot really imagine how such thing would be
specified) to say Align Item B with Item A.

Just use "vertical"->"top" (select both objects before). "top" or
"bottom" use
the upper or lower border, center uses the center of each object. (or
"horizontal", if you want them to be in a row. You see, makes sense
:-) )

I have an example that isn't quite solved by that. Say I have a flow
chart which has 4 columns. I want to spread those 4 columns evenly, so
after selecting the widest element from each column I ask for horizontal
spreading. Now, I need to center the rest of the elements in each column
to the middle of the element selected (the widest) in the column. In
this case, neither "horizontal -> center" or "left" or "right" or any
combination will do what I expect.

1. select all 4 columns
2. horizontal->same distance
3. for x=1;x<5;x++
4. select column x, object x
5. vertical->center
6 next

For loop is necessary. If you would select all 4 columns and objects to
center
them vertically, they would overlap each other in one column.

Does this solve the problem?

Not really. In order to be sure it will work, step 1 would be "for
x=1;x<4;x++ { select widest-object from column x }". I guess you meant
that. (Otherwise, if I'm thinking corrctly, for very large flowcharts all
objects would end up very apart from each other.)

The problem comes in step 4 where you mean to select all of the elements
in column x, and to center them to the [vertical] middle between "the left
point of the leftmost element and the right point of the rightmost
element". In that case, our guide-object, object x, would also move. The
goal is to leave the guide-object fixed and move the rest of the objects
in the column to the middle of the guide-object.