Re: HIG and Escape

On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 21:01:01 -0600, Lars Clausen <lrclause cs uiuc edu>
wrote:
On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, James K. Lowden wrote:
I hear tell 0.94 will be partly about HIG compliance.  I noticed (who

You mean 0.92, and yes.

Oh, well, I thought I meant 0.94.  I assumed a pre-release implies
bugfixes only, not UI changes.

In the UI overhaul, I hope Escape will cancel/close dialogs.

It certainly should.

Cool.

We're not bound to a particular style, but we want to keep the coding
part simple, too.

Acknowledged.

Look in app/preferences.c you'll see an array of prefs.

Right, thanks.  A lot of that information would wind up in the glade file.
 Then it's just a smp to map glade's data structure onto Dia's.  Not very
interesting work, but not hard or inflexible, either.  At least, that's
the view from 30,000 feet.

How do we distinguish between defaults for new diagrams and properties
of a particular diagram?

Properties of a particular diagram are changed from the diagram.

Ah, I see.  If you want to know whence my confusion, try this for
late-night GUI entertainment:  Open File->Preferences->"Diagram Defaults".
 Then, right-click on the diagram and choose View->"Diagram Properties".
Compare.

Very often, a user sets a current property and knows then and there that
should be the default for future diagrams.  Example: paper size.  It would
be good to work at this from that direction, making the current-properties
capable of affecting default values, and using the same or similar dialogs
for both purposes.

How does that strike you?

Regards,

--jkl