Re: HIGification of dialog boxes

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Krzysztof Foltman wrote:

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:03:14 +0200
From: Krzysztof Foltman <kfoltman onet pl>
To: dia-list gnome org
Subject: HIGification of dialog boxes

As someone from #usability noticed, most in dialog boxes in Dia are
completely HIG-uncompliant button order-wise. I could try to do the

I have started to like the HIG button order, but will it bother windows
users much?  (Go for it, unless Hans or Steffen strongly objects)

gruntwork and fix them, but I'm not sure if I should make attribute
dialogs instant-apply (with only Close button) or explicit apply (Try,
Cancel, OK).

[I dont remember seeing "Try" in the HIG, seems redundant if you have
instant apply]

Any opinions ? (I'd go for instant apply, as changing attributes or
defaults for attributes is not - in my opinion - "irreversible,
destructive or otherwise inconvenient to the user").

I would have some reservations about getting rid of Apply in some cases
you need to make more extensive changes for it to make sense but mostly it
is a big improvement.

- Alan H.