Re: XML

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 11:40:24PM -0600, Lars Clausen wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, John Edstrom wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to Dia.  I like that it's output is ( can be ) in xml.  What
I'm wondering is, is there a DTD or a fairly detailed description of
the elements, their allowed attributes, how namespaces are used, etc.?
I didn't see such a document while I was poking around on the site &
the twiki XML topic is unbegun.

The DTD is in the doc directory of the tarball.  I don't think we have a
more detailed description around.

I got my dia as a binary .rpm and the DTD didn't come with it.  I just
DLed the source and the DTDs are there. Thanks.

I'm thinking of spitting out some data as digraphs.  I looked at the
xml output from simple graphs and think that I can figure it all out,
but I'd rather spare myself the learning experience.

Have you looked at the various programs available in the Links section of
the webpage?

Yes, but only briefly.  I"m still just casing the joint at this point.
AutoDia is the closest that I've seen to what I want, but I'm not
really interested in UML.

Right now I'm building automatons which can get pretty complex.
Layout is my main concern, more than rendering or manipulation.  I use
the perl Graph::Directed module which, happily enough, writes xml
and/or 'dot' files ( from the graphviz package).  With the right
arguments dot will figure out a reasonably well-balanced layout for
the digraph and dump the coordinates of the nodes and edges.  I figure
it shouldn't be too difficult to convert or rescale the dot-calculated
coordinates into dia coordinates which would give me a better renderer
of the same graph.  If that's the case then my strategy is to convert
from dot >>-> ( xml | xsl ) >>-> dia.xml.

-Lars

--
John Edstrom