Re: Font selection -- a solution

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Hans Breuer wrote:
At 11:00 25.06.02 -0500, Lars Clausen wrote:

I had a flash of inspiration this morning biking into work.  I was
thinking about how most people only use a few fonts, most probably just
the three standard fonts (sans, serif, monospace).  So how about this:

At the outset, there is a font menu with the entries

Sans
Serif
Monospace
----------
LRU 1
LRU 2
LRU 3
----------
Other fonts...

Three words: fine with me!

Good!  It's coming along fine.

A small addition though: the Last Recently Used listed should
be updated by selecting/displaying different objects with
different fonts, too. That is:
- you are able to always show the current font of the object
  as pre-selection of the font option menu [new fonts not only
  go into the LRU list by the Font Selector, but also by
  selecting an object (and displaying it's properties), which uses
  a font not before in the list]
- you'll be able to unify a diagram which has many different
  fonts without any interaction with the GtkFontSelectionDialog

If the underlying mechanics ot the new 'GtkFifoMenu' or
'DiaLruOptionMenu' is implemented generic enough it can probably
easily be reused for the color selection case as well.

At the moment, it's not generic at all.  I just want to get it working,
and besides it's fairly tied in with the styles.  A color equivalent
wouldn't be hard to make once this is done.

BTW: Lars, could you please comment on your font api breakage
stuff complained about in my previous mail:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/dia-list/2002-June/msg00358.html

Or even better: revert it.

I'm still thinking about that.  Having a 'hole' in the weight list is bad.
Having two different values mean normal is also bad.  Hmmm...

-Lars