Re: new user question

On 2002-08-23 at 15:15 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:

I know the Windows port has been going through some trials and
tribulations recently (ah-hem) [ps: your work is very much
appreciated by two people I know Hans, please keep it up], but
have there ever been any thoughts towards making it more
Windowsy?

I could look at the state of themes in GTK2 for windows Tor
said ages ago that he could not be bothered getting themes to
work with GTK1.x when he knew it was going to be overhauled.
Depending on the status of GTK2 it might be possible to get a
theme that looks more like Redmond.

OK, that wasn't actually quite what I meant --- I wasn't asking
for it to _look_ Windowsy. No doubt there are those that would
want that, but I think having it look almost Windowsy but not
quite would be more dangerous than as it is now. I was talking
more about the comment I went on make below about OLE etc ---
i.e. behaviour not look.

In particular with reference to this discussion, what about
adding in OLE support (or whatever ActiveNonsense Microsoft
call it this week) to make this stuff more familiar to novices?
I guess that would be non-trivial... anyone any thoughts?

It sounds nasty.  I dont know what plans if any Abiword have
but i know they would have plenty of ideas on the subject
seeing as they are among the few Gnome projects that run on
Windows as a well. (i am really looking forward to when Chema
has time to remove all the gnome dep's from gnome print and
Dom adds SVG support, something both Dia and Abiword will
benifit from I expect).

Just curious, not something I particularly want, but it would
create more Windows integration.

I already use Pine (am trying to configure mutt nicely and
then start using it instead or maybe i will try Evolution).
But there is probably some hidden option buried somewhere in
Micrsofts prodcuts that allows you to turn of the HTML.  I
will really have to put together a tutorial on how to turn
off HTML in various mailers, i am always asking people to do
it.

There is in Outlook Express I know. But if I remember rightly
it still renders stuff in a proportional font or something
stupid, so it still isn't 'quite right'.

--
Andrew Ferrier

email: andrew junk new-destiny co uk
web:   http://www.new-destiny.co.uk/andrew/