Re: Can we enforce beta release for the freeze

On Sun, 2021-02-21 at 15:47 -0500, Matthias Clasen via desktop-devel-list wrote:

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 3:18 PM Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
The freeze is pointless without beta releases, so what can we do to
enforce that beta releases happen?

Help out with the modules that are missing releases.

It is a small group of people doing a lot of hard work. The control center maintainer,
Georges, is also one of the main forces behind the gnome-shell redesign.

And days only have 24 hours.

I am sympathetic to time constraints. I really truly am. And I know I've missed releases too.

But the group of people doing documentation is also very very small, and we also only have 24 hours in a day. If I take on more release responsibilities, I will have zero time to do work on documentation, which is my only real motivation to have the beta releases done.

Our infrastructure for putting beta releases in front of actual humans is *so* much better than it was 20 years ago. That's in large part because some awesome folks automated a lot of stuff. But there's still a lot of human work in releases. I rolled around 10 releases last weekend, and it took me a couple hours (In part because I have to log out and back in under Xorg to roll Yelp because of old colde I haven't made the time to update.) Can we reduce or eliminate that?

--
Shaun