Re: System-wide dark mode

On Thu, 2019-06-06 at 11:41 +0200, Milan Crha via desktop-devel-list
wrote:
On Wed, 2019-06-05 at 23:14 +0500, Alexander via desktop-devel-list
wrote:
Since WebKit supports Apple's dark mode now, I wonder if mail
clients (and also Devhelp/Builder) will be able to provide styles
for
dark mode with that.

from one of the mail application point of view (being it Evolution
here), the problem with HTML mails is that some clients did/do
generate HTML where they declare only text color, but no background
color, and bet the text color is black. Black text color on a dark
theme background is not ideal for reading, thus the HTML mails are
set to use white background by default. When you count all the (not
only) CSS tricks and various elements it's not that easy to change
the color of the text in an HTML code generated by "random" mail
client. I know it's awful and bad for eyes in the dark theme, but
there was not found anything better.

A workaround is using a "darker" background that still plays nice with
black text.

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño
https://calcifer.org/