Re: Proposal: earlier tarball deadlines

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:39 pm, Alexandre Franke <afranke gnome org> wrote:
Indeed. Moreover, in my experience, many maintainers consciously leave
that time for translators and check the status of their module on
Damned lies to see if there’s any team currently working on it and
whether they need to wait just a tiny bit longer for that language to
land in time. Kudos to all of those who do that, it is greatly
appreciated.

Hm. We could solve this problem with a "translation deadline" set, say, two or three days before tarball deadline. Maintainers shouldn't release until after the translation deadline is passed, so any translations committed by that date would be guaranteed to get in. E.g.:

Wednesday: translation deadline
Thursday: first day to release
Saturday: tarball deadline
Wednesday (week two): overall release deadline

This wouldn't be needed after the .0 release (since we're in string freeze) or for early development releases... maybe only for the .0 release? Or from [.90-.0]? I guess we could have it for every release, but that makes the schedule significantly more complex.

Just brainstorming.