Re: Proposal: earlier tarball deadlines

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 8:04 PM <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

I'd like to propose moving tarball deadlines for the 3.36 cycle one
business day earlier, from Mondays to Fridays, while leaving the
overall release deadline on Wednesday. That way, we can have the
weekend for trying to build the release. This will allow release team
more time to resolve build failures, hopefully making the job less
stressful for us. It should also help us avoid late releases. Currently
we're not able to begin building the release before Monday night
(American timezones) or Tuesday morning (European timezones), which has
led to several late releases on Thursday, Friday, and occasionally even
later. Managing a release is usually a full-day task at least, and
doing this on business days is very difficult for some of us. There's
some more motivation for this discussed at [1].

An alternative proposal would be to use Saturday instead of Friday as
the tarball deadline, which might be nicer for maintainers who prefer
to release over the weekend. That would still allow release team to
build the release on Sunday.

Please, if you have any concerns, let us know. Also let us know if you
have a preference between Friday and Saturday. Remember that the
deadline still occurs at 23:59 UTC on the day specified.

Weekends are usually the time when most translations get done. If you
remove this opportunity, I guess we should consider freezing earlier
too so that translators basically get the same amount of time to do
their job.

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker