Re: Proposal: earlier tarball deadlines

On Wed, 2019-08-14 at 13:04 -0500, mcatanzaro gnome org wrote:
I'd like to propose moving tarball deadlines for the 3.36 cycle one
business day earlier, from Mondays to Fridays, while leaving the
overall release deadline on Wednesday.

        Hi,
my personal preference is on Monday, thinking that (community)
translators have time over the weekend to finish their translations
before the release. I do not have any statistical data whether any/many
really do that, though I believe it would make sense to give them more
time at least later in the release cycle (moving the release to Friday
just before x.y.0, where only translations are allowed (without
approval) doesn't make much sense to me, because there are not expected
any code breakages when no code changed). In other words, I suggest to
not move all tarball releases before the weekend.

I'm afraid moving the deadline will not help to get all releases on
time. People are free to release sooner, still only a few of them do
that. That's only my opinion/observation though.

Otherwise I've no strong opinion, if you'd like to move the tarball
release date in order to help the release team, then I'm fine with
it. Being it Friday or Saturday doesn't play any role here, I'd probably
do it on Friday in both cases (because I can release earlier ;) ).
        Bye,
        Milan