Re: Proposal: Replace all references to master/slave in GNOME modules

Hi,

On Fri, 2019-04-26 at 11:07 +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
Which is the crux of the matter really: whatever you're going to pick
will have different connotations in other languages. Many ESL
speakers
will primarily think in their own language and substitute the words
English. So if you want to change terminology, I suggest getting a
domain expert involved rather than 'randomly' picking something that
sounds good to a small set of developers. That's how the original
master/slave wording was decided on after all.
That's an interesting point. I wonder what the acceptance criteria for a
new word are.
Has someone come up with a metric already?
How would a random string perform with such a metric? Like, say, the
SHA256 hash of the module's name. Or the first few bytes thereof.

Cheers,
  Tobi