Re: Proposal: Replace all references to master/slave in GNOME modules

Hi André,

The question is that the change has been made before asking the GNOME community (translators, developers, maintainers...).

If we finally decide to rename branches of course DL should be fixed to consider it, but it someone does this change unilaterally might break things.

Michael has argued changes in Django, Rust, etc to justify it's change in GNOME, but those projects have no changed branches names (maybe because the problems it could haul?

I belive the correct way to do this should be: revert the change, follow this thread to hear what other GNOME members think about it, take a final and global decission.

What dou you think about this?

El jue., 25 abr. 2019 a las 10:41, Andre Klapper (<ak-47 gmx net>) escribió:
Daniel,

On Thu, 2019-04-25 at 10:21 +0200, Daniel Mustieles García wrote:
> Do we need to remember you again the incovenients of your change?
> Damned Lies is broken in Geary's module (cherry-pick doesn't work),
> developers and contributors get confused if modules name their master
> branches to whatever maintainers decide, you have broken GNOME's
> standard naming for development branches, your arguments about
> Django, Rust, Linux Kernel are false, you've done this change without
> asking the community, which is clearly against it... do you want more
> reasons?

Damned Lies should get fixed if all branches got renamed (what this
thread is about), developers and contributors do NOT get confused if
ALL master branches are renamed which is EXACTLY what this thread is
about anyway, that someone has "broken standard naming" in one module
is exactly why this thread about changing the standard naming was
started, nobody brought up any "arguments about Django, Rust, Linux
Kernel" but only mentioned what those other projects have done in some
area so there are no "false" arguments as you call it, and asking "the
community" (which one? GNOME? Geary? Something else?) is probably done
in this very thread.

No need to get personal ("Do we need to remember you again") by having
your argumentation missing most of the points made.

andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  ak-47 gmx net
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/