Re: Retiring app menus - planning for 3.32.0

Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org> wrote:

> With regard to dropping the 'quit' action, is there any guidance for
> background applications? That is, apps where closing all windows does
> *not* exit the application, but the explicit 'quit' action does.

FWIW, the app menu "Quit" does not quit Telegam, so this is worth exploring though a bit orthogonal to the question of removing the menu.

Sorry for the slow reply - it's been a busy week.

This question is something that has been on my mind too. Having an
explicit way to stop an app from running in the background is
interesting, but then I wonder how desirable it is to have an action
to completely quit just once. I also wonder how obvious the function
is. How does someone know that quit stops the app completely, whereas
close doesn't? And would we just show quit in the case that an app
runs in the background...?

Another issue about quit which has occurred to me is that we show it
in the dash context menus...

Allan