Retiring app menus - planning for 3.32.0

Hi all,

As previously discussed, we're planning to retire app menus this development cycle. The aim is to remove all application menus by 3.32.0.

I've written some updated guidelines for the initiative, and I'd appreciate it if people could check them over.

We're also hoping to sneak in a couple of other UI changes at the same time. I wanted to flag these here, in case there are any objections. They are:
  1. Grouping the Preferences menu item with the other "app" menu items (Keyboard Shortcuts, Help, About).
  2. Changing the name of the about menu item from "About" to "About <Application Name>".
If this all seems OK, I'll announce the initiative more widely and start filing issues against the affected applications.

Thanks,

Allan