Re: Retiring app menus - planning for 3.32.0

Just my 2 cents

I think one of the bigger issues isn't necessarily the difference between close and quit (though disambiguation would be great), it's instead that since we retired showing appindicators there is now no way of visually knowing if an app is still running or not. Granted, not all apps used appindicators, but most apps that continued to stay open in the background did have some sort of appindicators (chat apps like slack/discord etc).

My suggestion is *not* to bring back appindicators, but rather to make better use of the dash to show all running applications, even the background apps. Right now the dash does a good job showing running apps that have a visible window, but background apps are invisible to the dash. This would at the very least give a visual indicator of background running applications, so in the case of quit/close ambiguity, it would only last as long as until they see the dash and notice that the application still shows running.

On Sep 28, 2018 7:33 AM, "Allan Day" <aday gnome org> wrote:
Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org> wrote:

> With regard to dropping the 'quit' action, is there any guidance for
> background applications? That is, apps where closing all windows does
> *not* exit the application, but the explicit 'quit' action does.

Sorry for the slow reply - it's been a busy week.

This question is something that has been on my mind too. Having an
explicit way to stop an app from running in the background is
interesting, but then I wonder how desirable it is to have an action
to completely quit just once. I also wonder how obvious the function
is. How does someone know that quit stops the app completely, whereas
close doesn't? And would we just show quit in the case that an app
runs in the background...?

Another issue about quit which has occurred to me is that we show it
in the dash context menus...

Allan