Re: Retiring app menus - planning for 3.32.0

On Fri, 2018-09-21 at 11:05 +0100, Allan Day wrote:
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
... The keyboard shortcuts dialogue in Videos is invaluable.

Its contents used to be in the README file, which users wouldn't
see,
the user documentation still shows the old interface (from 4 years
ago), and I'd rather not rely on user docs if I can help it.

Putting aside the issue of outdated user docs,

Well, it's a pretty big factor here.

 do you experience any
advantages having keyboard shortcuts in the shortcuts window, as
opposed to the help?

It's faster to access for users, has terser explanations (no need to
create sentences to describe actions) and it's usually better updated
as it lives in the code, as opposed to being separate in the docs.

I can see the advantage for a large and complex app, where you might
want to regularly check shortcuts, as a quick reference. In the case
of a simple app, it's less clear to me what the advantage is over
having shortcuts in the docs.

Having a quick access to searchable shortcuts is a good way to learn
those shortcuts little by little, or get to know about specific
shortcuts without taking you out of your task. Opening a separate, more
verbose, documentation breaks that immersion.