Re: [GitLab] Gravatar vs libravatar

Apologies, hit reply too fast.

Sure, I’ll get in touch with them to find out what that means.

That would be great, thanks. It's clear that we eventually want to have an alternative to Gravatar... let Andrea, "wicked" or me know what are your findings.

Cheers

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 at 18:03, Carlos Soriano <csoriano gnome org> wrote:
I'm not sure, contact Andrea Veri for more. We definitely got dissapointed by finding this suddenly, and we should have investigated a bit more before hand. So for now sysadmins wants it disabled.

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 at 17:26, Alexandre Franke <afranke gnome org> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 3:52 PM Carlos Soriano <csoriano gnome org> wrote:
> Right we read that too, although it doesn't give very high hopes.

How so? The maintainer was alone and wanted to stop so he announced
the stop with a few months notice, but many people stepped up and have
formed a team. One can read their coordination effort in public
meeting minutes on their wiki. So instead of the alarming “the service
is shutting down” you reported here, it actually is getting stronger
maintainership. If that is not hopeful news, I don’t know what will do
it for you.

> The main problem is the second point, it just redirects stuff to Gravatar, so not much point (and quite shady imho)

That part is indeed concerning and requires clarification.

> If someone wants to help with that and contact libravatar developers feel free to do so.

Sure, I’ll get in touch with them to find out what that means.

Now here’s a question because what happens is not clear to me: did the
libravatar call all redirect to gravatar, or just some of them? In the
latter case, maybe reverting was a hasty decision as reducing the
number of calls, while not as perfect as we expected, is still
progress.

Cheers,

--
Alexandre Franke