Re: GNOME Mastodon Instance?

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 at 10:27, Alexandre Franke <afranke gnome org> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 3:20 PM Emmanuele Bassi via desktop-devel-list
<desktop-devel-list gnome org> wrote:
> Just to be clearer: once the GNOME Mastodon instance gets into a federation, it'll need somebody to moderate
> the graph to block instances and users from other instances in the fediverse. I'm not (overly) worried about people
> with an @gnome.org address on the GNOME instance, and for those we do have the Code of Conduct committee
> (and, hopefully soon, a new code of conduct).

Thanks for the clarification, I was indeed puzzled by your first
reply. Can you expand a bit on what that instance blocking would
entail? Would e.g. a Foundation member still be able to follow someone
from a blocked instance?

Blocking an instance means that all messages coming from that instance would be blocked before they reach the Foundation's mastodon instance.

Given that anyone can set up a Mastodon instance, blocking would be for spamming purposes, or with moderation/purposes/goals completely opposite to what we'd expect GNOME members to have, given our code of conduct:

  https://github.com/dzuk-mutant/blockchain

The spamming/porn cases are the trivialest to handle—and likely the least controversial ones.

For a less trivial case: let's say that a "GNOME haters" group sets up a Mastodon instance, and starts spamming @mastodon.gnome.org users; administrators of the mastodon.gnome.org instance would need to block the whole "gnomehaters" instance.

For an even less trivial case: if the fedyverse gets a mastodon instance full of nazi/alt-righters/4channers every N weeks, we'd need somebody to do instance blocking on those as well.

But Mastodon's moderation tools are still quite primitive, and it's unknown whether they will improve over time:

  https://nolanlawson.com/2018/08/31/mastodon-and-the-challenges-of-abuse-in-a-federated-system/

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.