GNOME Mastodon Instance?

Hi all,

Now that Google+ is declared officially dead, I wondered if GNOME
would consider hosting a Mastodon instance. There's a bug already
open, https://gitlab.gnome.org/Infrastructure/Infrastructure/issues/23
-- but I guess this needs someone to drive this and actually do the
work. I know I would trust a GNOME instance more than a random server,
both from a privacy point of view and security/moderation point of
view. It seems a shame to loose all the useful geeky connections with
people in the Open Source community, as people scatter to Twitter,
Facebook and all the other non-free places. Maybe now is the perfect
time to promote Mastodon and GNOME?

Richard.