Re: Release team now using gnome-build-meta repository, not JHBuild

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 3:12 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
Or c) nobody's needed to recompile at-spi-core2 because it hasn't
changed in significant ways in years and the distro provided versions
work just fine.

My at-spi-core checkout dates back from 2013.

I, and I suspect a majority of folks that hack on more than a few
modules, usually install the build dependencies from my distribution,
and then try to compile the application or library ("buildone") that I
want to work on. glib and gtk+ are probably the only 2 libraries that I
recompile at least once a week.

Hi,

It sounds like you never use 'jhbuild build', but instead manage your dependencies manually and use 'jhbuild buildone'. Although I wouldn't recommend that to newcomers, if that works for you, then great. But if you never use 'jhbuild build' then you're also not using the dependencies specified in the modulesets at all, so I don't think this change would even affect you, except when you want to build a new module that's not currently in the modulesets, which is easy to add.

Furthermore, you're the one that asked developers switching to meson
not to change the jhbuild moduleset until a tarball release with meson
existed, so you could run the releases.

Damned if you do...

Hm, maybe my request was too confusing. Yes, changing the moduleset is an inconvenience for us if there's no new tarball release come GNOME release day. But that's not a good reason to leave JHBuild broken. It's a reason to make a new tarball release.

The same problem actually still exists with BuildStream. The solution is to just pay special attention to the GNOME release cycle when you're switching gnome-build-meta to use the new build system. This is a one-time issue, so not a big deal IMO.

Michael