Re: Release team now using gnome-build-meta repository, not JHBuild

On Mon, 2018-01-22 at 14:31 -0600, mcatanzaro gnome org wrote:

<snip>
I'll use one specific anecdote. On October 30, the Autotools build
files were removed from at-spi2-core. The accompanying JHBuild
moduleset update switching it to use meson was pushed by Philip
Withnall (thanks!) on December 1. So at-spi2-core was obviously not
buildable with JHBuild during November. at-spi2-core is, of course,
dependency of gtk+-3 (via at-spi2-atk), which is a dependency of
every
GNOME app. That means either (a) nobody tried to 'jhbuild build' any
app during the entire month of November, or (b) nobody bothered to
report that building everything was broken during this time.

Or c) nobody's needed to recompile at-spi-core2 because it hasn't
changed in significant ways in years and the distro provided versions
work just fine.

My at-spi-core checkout dates back from 2013.

I, and I suspect a majority of folks that hack on more than a few
modules, usually install the build dependencies from my distribution,
and then try to compile the application or library ("buildone") that I
want to work on. glib and gtk+ are probably the only 2 libraries that I
recompile at least once a week.

Furthermore, you're the one that asked developers switching to meson
not to change the jhbuild moduleset until a tarball release with meson
existed, so you could run the releases.

Damned if you do...