Re: How could GNOME become the de facto desktop environment

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Alberto Salvia Novella <es20490446e gmail com> wrote:
Sriram Ramkrishna: > Please be aware, that we were not involved in the decision by Ubuntu > to make GNOME the default desktop. If you are unhappy about this > decision, I strongly suggest you speak with those who made the > decision. They have told me they would be happy talking about it.

Well, I'm not sure then the purpose of coming into this forum. Seems you have a willing partner.

Sriram Ramkrishna:
I'm sorry that you were unhappy with the GNOME experience and hope that you do find a desktop that better fits your needs.
It's not about my personal taste. My aim is finding a desktop environment that would fit the average person needs.

I had no idea you occupy such a vaulted position.

There's always a small amount of people that would dislike your product, but when half the people don't like it that can only be because the concerns are real.

I'm afraid this is a fruitless discussion. I suggest you talk with the folks at Ubuntu and ask or rather demand given that you represent such a large demographic and explain the criteria for their decision and why GNOME passes it and provide them with the data that you clearly seem to have in your possession.

The question is if you are going to build an inbred product only, or you will be making something that most people would love.

We are proud of our product, warts and all. Sure, there are things to fix and the work continues to improve. But everyone here is proud and happy to be part of GNOME and of the things we have accomplished. Clearly, you and the demographic you represent, find us lacking and again those of us in GNOME thank you for your opinion, but I think you'll to need have the rest of your conversation with Ubuntu and not with us because we aren't changing our direction and are happy serving the above average demographic.

This will be my last response. Cheers!

sri