Re: Paperwork : a personal document manager (scanned and PDFs)

1 mai 2017 18:20 "Michael Catanzaro" <mike catanzaro gmail com> a écrit:

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 10:59 AM, Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Jerome Flesch <jflesch gmail com> > wrote:

On Github, someone told me that there is someone else in the Gnome
design team working on mockups for a new document manager / scan
application[1][2]. It looks quite similar to an application I've been
working on for a while: Paperwork.
Website: https://openpaper.work
Sources: https://github.com/openpaperwork/paperwork/#readme
Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMazTTM6ltg
The mockups you've seen are not for a new application, but rather to > provide a face-lift for
simple-scan.

Hi,

I'm curious: can you please describe your use case for having a second document manager in addition
to Documents? I don't want to prejudge, but I'm a bit skeptical as to how adding a new app to
maintain would be better for GNOME than just improving Documents and Simple Scan.

Thanks,

Michael

It's mainly focused at scanned documents and being as lazy as possible. So there are some elements that
differ from Documents + Simple-scan:
- OCR (I guess that could be added in simple-scan)
- Focus on not having to sort documents in the file-system at all. Not even having to name them.
- Automatic labeling of documents when they are added (uses Bayesian filters)
- Fuzzy searches: because exact searches are no good when the OCR messes some letters. And you don't
want to waste time fixing OCR results (I assume Tracker can do that do, but I've never been really fund of
Tracker & such)
- Export: includes OCR text in the output PDF + allows to clean the scanned images