Re: Matrix as a replacement for Telepathy

Hi all,

I wholeheartedly support (+1!) scraping Telepathy and going full-Matrix.

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 13:56:24 +0200, Alexandre Franke <afranke gnome org> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 1:46 PM, Felipe Borges <felipeborges gnome org> wrote:
All in all, if desirable, Matrix and GNU Ring could be connection
managers in Telepathy instead of standalone bits.

Specific clients could be created backed by Telepathy, e.g. no need to
rely on Empathy.

One of the main points of Sri’s proposal is to get rid of Telepathy.
Its architecture is a burden and e.g. Polari has problems because of
the extra layers that wouldn’t exist if it talked to IRC directly.

While in many respects I like a lot some of the ideas behind Telepahy, and for
example the seamless integration of third-party IM providers in the N900/N9
was outstanding, there is one major drawback: Making all CMs fit into the
common set of features of all the supported ends up providing a suboptimal
user experience (sometimes vastly inferior). This is one of the reasons why
Empathy was always very mediocre at supporting XMPP and I for many things I
ended up finding myself using Gajim when I was an avid XMPP user.

On the other hand, by adopting Matrix we have the chance of providing an
exceptional native UX at a potentially much smaller development cost by
focusing on a single protocol [1] — and Matrix itself connecting to
third-party services, instead of trying to solve the fragmentation in the
client-side with subpar solutions.

Cheers,

--
 Adrián “Two Cents” Pérez