Re: Matrix as a replacement for Telepathy

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 03:19:34PM +0300, Adrian Perez de Castro wrote:
While in many respects I like a lot some of the ideas behind Telepahy, and for
example the seamless integration of third-party IM providers in the N900/N9
was outstanding, there is one major drawback: Making all CMs fit into the
common set of features of all the supported ends up providing a suboptimal
user experience (sometimes vastly inferior). This is one of the reasons why
Empathy was always very mediocre at supporting XMPP and I for many things I
ended up finding myself using Gajim when I was an avid XMPP user.

On the other hand, by adopting Matrix we have the chance of providing an
exceptional native UX at a potentially much smaller development cost by
focusing on a single protocol [1] — and Matrix itself connecting to
third-party services, instead of trying to solve the fragmentation in the
client-side with subpar solutions.

  That's kinda ironic, as XMPP was Matrix of its time.  There was connectivity
to other (proprietary) IM networks through server-side “transports”. Client implementing
XMPP only was able to chat with ICQ, GG, MSN, IRC and others – via transports.

  It didn't save XMPP, why would this design results in different fate with Matrix?

--
Tomasz Torcz               RIP is irrevelant. Spoofing is futile.
xmpp: zdzichubg chrome pl     Your routes will be aggreggated. -- Alex Yuriev