Re: Matrix as a replacement for Telepathy

Matrix is about much more than IRC-style communication, although it's a common misunderstanding given most of the popular use of Matrix today happens to be as a decentralised IRC/Slack/Gitter/Telegram alternative.

We have Skype-style voice and video calls too, as well as conference calls (and as of two days ago, integration with other conferencing platforms like Jitsi). For instance, we've just teamed up with the Purism guys to deliver a VoIP/messaging app for their new Librem 5 FLOSS smartphone: https://matrix.org/blog/2017/08/24/the-librem-5-from-purism-a-matrix-native-smartphone/.

I'm obviously biased, but I think that using Matrix as an alternative to Telepathy would be a great idea. One of the proposed pieces of work for the Purism deal in fact would be to run a background Matrix client on the phone which can receive Matrix push notifications, inbound messages & calls etc, and expose them via DBUS or similar for the rest of the OS to use. Thus applications could either talk HTTP direct to their preferred Matrix server, or use a Matrix-over-DBUS style API to share the same daemon across all apps. This could also be super-useful for E2E crypto, as the heavy lifting crypto work could be done by a shared daemon, and expose a simple plaintext API through to the client apps on the machine itself (assuming you trusted the host sufficiently).

This work is currently a stretch goal for the Purism campaign though if they significantly overshoot their funding target, so if the wider GNOME or Matrix or Linux community was interested in pursuing this sooner than later it would only be a Good Thing.

thanks,

Matthew