Re: 3.25.90 will probably be delayed

Hi developers,

I'm still struggling to get buildable release modulesets for 3.25.90. As you know, tarballs for that release were due Monday and the release was due Wednesday, but it's Saturday now and I haven't delivered it yet. Normally I spend about one day working on a release and it's not a big deal, but this time around there have been such a huge number of failures that it's taken all week. I can't understate how much worse this release has been than any I've ever worked on before.

I was hoping to finish up today, but it's just not going to happen. Normally all releases have an app or two that fails to build and we just mark them as skipped in the jhbuildrc that we release and roll with it. But right now, we have tricky outstanding build failures in low-level components [1][2] that I don't understand and which I have spent *far* too much time on already. This is a judgment call, but I think we're just not in a state to make our .90 beta release right now, since if we can't build it ourselves, distros probably won't be able to either. Please help fix these tricky issues and then we can see where we're at and decide how to adjust our schedule when they're fixed. I've uploaded tentative jhbuild modulesets [3] for smoketesting, so you can build with the exact same tarball versions and build flags that we release. You can use a command like this:

$ jhbuild -f sample-tarball.jhbuildrc -m gnome-apps-3.25.90.modules build

The good news is that a huge number of other build failures have already been fixed. In 80% of these cases the problem was already fixed in git and just needed a new tarball release. It's becoming too much effort to track down maintainers when releases are needed. When you make incompatible changes to your module or commit build fixes, it's important to follow the GNOME release cycle as otherwise it creates a big problem on release day when we can't build our tarballs against each other.

Michael

[1] https://github.com/hughsie/colord/issues/54
[2] https://github.com/hughsie/PackageKit/issues/212
[3] I've uploaded tentative jhbuild modulesets [3] for smoketesting, so you can build with the exact same tarball versions and build flags that we release.