Re: Proposal for Gnome Goal (was Re: Switching from Autotools to CMake for core evolution products)

On Mon, 2016-10-10 at 10:04 +0100, Philip Withnall wrote:
I don’t think we’ve ported enough modules as testbeds yet. Meson is
too new
to jump into encouraging everyone to port GNOME modules en-masse.

Maybe the goal could be proposed in 6 months once Meson has matured a
bit
more and more modules have dogfooded it?

Yeah. I've been looking at Meson recently and it looks really nice, but
right now not much is using it in JHBuild, just GStreamer and, as of
yesterday, libhttpseverywhere. Let's port a couple more modules and
give it some months before we decide to recommend it project-wide. This
also gives Meson some more time to mature.

At any rate, I have experience with working on CMake for WebKitGTK+,
and my initial impression of meson relative to CMake is highly
positive.

Michael