Re: Switching from Autotools to CMake for core evolution products

On Wed, 2016-10-05 at 13:39 +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
Why? Is it faster, smaller, or better in other ways?

        Hi,
seems to be better than autotools, gives more freedom and easily allows
the sources to be built much faster than with autotools (it builds here
in ~1/3 of the time which uses autotools, still using "Unix
Makefiles"). I know it's caused mostly by not having one giant
Makefile.am, but this way it's easier (at least for me).

With the "gives more freedom" I think of different generators, which
CMake offers quite many [1].

Were other alternatives considered (Meson,seems to be the preferred
non-autotools build system for GNOME projects)?

Right, Meson. I do not want to dive into such discussion, Meson simply
didn't fit my needs and preferences. Its syntax is weird to me and if
you compare what Meson offers (ninja and msvc2010) and what CMake
offers [1], then it's just "more freedom" from CMake than from Meson.
        Bye,
        Milan

[1] https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.6/manual/cmake-generators.7.html
    Note it's for version 3.6, while the required CMake version is 3.0