Re: Canonical jhbuild documentation

On 10/02/2015, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
Problem: we have many pages on jhbuild documentation

We want to eliminate all of this and have

https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeLove/BuildGnome

There seems to be some objections to removing some of the more
in-depth jhbuild documentation.  I think overall this is a little
confusing, they are also unmaintained.  BuildGnome is maintained and
also has been converted to Mallard.

https://wiki.gnome.org/HowDoI/Jhbuild is the one that seems to be
preferred by most docs newcomers and team members so from my point of
view it would be good that the final result resembles it and works
just as well.

jhbuilding applications and even the Shell is not a task which is
restricted to newcomers, so it seems a bit odd to chose the GNOME love
namespace for the final result.

If the myriad of the jhbuild pages is reduced to only one, it would be
good if redirects are added at the old locations.

I would like to propose that BuildGnome be the canonical documentation
for people trying to setup a build.   Any other documentation should
be retired and/or should be merged into the jhbuild main line
documentation for advanced users.  If people want, they can put in
recipes or links to other documentation.  For instance, for Arch
Linux, the arch wiki has a jhbuild reference on how to get it going.

I would like to start removing the confusion when trying to create
jhbuild.  An easy experience for newcomers mean a better likelihood of
casual volunteers being able to come in and start working on at least
the simple stuff.

I have helped a number of docs newcomers set up jhbuild and it is
usually not an easy experience which is why we recommend running
Continuous in Boxes, if at all possible (which isn't always the case).

So Proposal is: https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeLove/BuildGnome

is the only documentation on wiki.gnome.org, the rest gets retired and
merged into jhbuild documentation.

Thanks for looking at this!