Re: Webkit2 porting

On Tue, 2014-10-14 at 21:17 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
For apps that are displaying web pages (everything not geary?)
with no such compatibility concerns, porting should be relatively
easy.

        Hi,
just for your information, Evolution is on the same boat as geary, all
the previews (not only mail) are webkit based, the same as composer
in 3.13.3+. We also used GtkWidget-s in the pages (provided as
"plugin" in WebKit1), which requires more changes in the design,
because this GtkWidget plugin is gone in WebKit2.

Tomas Popela is working on the port of Evolution to WebKit2 currently.
He has his experience with it too, but Evolution is a C application,
no Vala fun with it.

Another issue is portability, if any application takes care of it. For
example WebKit1 could be built under Windows, while WebKit2 currently
cannot. Probably not a problem for GNOME stack, I do not know.
        Bye,
        Milan