Re: RFC: GSound, a GObject library for playing system sounds

(Forgot to CC list, apologies ebassi)

On 14 Nov 2014, at 8:17 pm, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:

hi;

On 14 November 2014 09:47, Tristan Brindle <tcbrindle gmail com> wrote:

<snip>

sounds great!

Thanks :-)

I also have a couple of quick questions:

* What is the status of the libcanberra GTK module? I’ve held off wrapping any of the canberra-gtk stuff
as I seem to recall that it was being dropped, but perhaps that has changed?

I was talking to Matthias Clasen about this on the #gtk+ IRC channel
not so long ago; I'd be happy if the libcanberra-gtk module was
actually subsumed into GTK+ proper, and we just added a direct
(optional) dependency on libcanberra. it would simplify the build, the
dependency list, and the QA process of the library.

Thanks for the info. I’ll hold off putting any GTK stuff into GSound for now then until I know the future of
libcanberra-gtk.

* Is there a procedure for submitting libraries for inclusion into the Gnome project proper? I’d be very
keen on GSound becoming an “official” part of the platform if people find it useful, and I’m happy to
follow the Gnome release cycles and so forth, but as an “outsider” (currently) I’m not sure what I’d need
to do for that to happen.

there is no real procedure: if applications in the jhbuild moduleset
start depending on GSound, and you commit to maintaining the library
in a way that is compatible with the GNOME release schedule, then
that's all that you need to do. :-)

if you want to use the GNOME infrastructure to host your code, track
bugs and enhancements, and open a mailing list, you can start the
process to get an account:
https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/AccountsTeam/NewAccounts

I’d certainly like GSound to use the Gnome infrastructure if you’ll have it! But I read that page and saw the
requirement of “a reasonable number of patches [to other gnome modules]” and figured I’d probably be refused.

But I’ll put in a request anyway and hopefully we’ll see GSound on git.gnome.org soon.

Cheers,

Tristan