Re: Coordination for developer documentations

Hi Allan,

Allan Day wrote:
So, are you interested?

It would help to know a bit more about what you think this
coordination role would involve. Are you concerned with keeping
technical changes in step, for example, or is it more the content in
our hand written documentation that we need to be careful about?

I was mostly concerned by our technical infrastructure for developer
documentation, but that itself has of course been driven by the
content we produced (or wanted to produce), so I don't think they can
really be separated.

A recent example is the way gtk-doc comments are written, and how to
accomodate them in order to provide meaningful comments when reused
for other languages (references to manual memory management for
example).

Maybe the concerned parties just need to be made aware of how their
work might affect others? Or maybe the dependencies between components
need to be more clearly spelled out?

Given a vision I believe it will be necessary to coordinate whatever
needs to be done to get to it, having various persons giving the
subject a bit of their time sporadically won't work out (that's what
we've been doing since at least the Berlin hackfest more than four
years ago).

Maybe we do not need a person, maybe tools (like the gnome-devel-doc
list) are enough to get the required coordination, but from what I've
seen of the documentation team, a dedicated and focused person really
helps.

So I agree with you, the first is certainly to get that common vision
nailed down. But then, having a solid developer documentation team,
rather than various individuals, would help tremendously, in defining
the vision, and working towards it afterwards.

        Fred